Sunday, February 26, 2012


Hi Clubby: It's getting close now, so time for another update from our corner of the Tragics world!
I have a new set of off-road maps arriving Monday for my Garmin. They were only released last Thursday! Hopefully I can get my head around the new program. These type of maps are very basic, unlike roads and highways where you can plot everything. Anyway I have maps (printed types) as well!
Updates on our bikes are as follows:
1). Col has just had new tyres and H/D tubes fitted, fresh chain and cogs, new fork seals/oil/spacer, front brake master cylinder and caliper rebuild upgrade and then a test ride -- but, oops, there's an oil leak! The next time I see him will probably be as we are leaving to go to Bathurst next weekend as he will be working away all this week.
2). Pete has now picked up his bike after its blue slip, green slip ... and a massive rebuild! It's going through rego next week at Wellington. His bike had a rebore, head rebuild, new front rim/spokes, two new tyres and tubes and new fork seals. It had the same front brake rebuild as Col's bike, except it also included a new braided line as we couldn't get the brakes to pump up as the hose was old and bulging under pressure. It also scored new chain and cogs, new chain guide, new front and rear fenders, repair of the taillight bracket and flashers ... plus heaps more items too many to mention now!
3). My 'Baby' has been upgraded with a sump mod, Hepco bash plate, Yamaha engine bars with Col's version of a support bar (powder-coated), electronic cruise control, adjustable windscreen, wind deflectors (modded), extra power outlet, GPS, UHF, music, Bagster tank cover, SW Motech tank bag, GPS ram ball and new tyres as it was assembled. We've also given it a paint job (as per the European Off-Road 2012 'Special Edition' model). Took her for a test ride today Dubbo to Molong (gelato factory) to Mumbil to Wellington and home -- all went fairly well in the rain all the way! Marg and some mates also came along for the ride. Test fitted the luggage when I got home, but I still can't decide whether to topbox it or run a waterproof bag (as per Arkaroola trip).
Anyway, that's our news, can't wait until next week -- hope you had an eventful weekend of pre-planning!
-- Dave, Ténéré Tragic #21

Crikey, Dave, has there been any time for paying customers' bikes in the Readford's Yamaha workshop over the past month?! It sounds like you boys and your Ténérés have been keeping the workshop flat-out! Can't wait to see Pete's '83 model, for it sounds like it has had a serious make-over -- excellent! And exactly what colour is your 1200 going to be? The European Limited Edition model is available in a couple of different colour options (the white/red one is shown in this photo), so which one have you re-created? As for me, well, YES, I did have an eventful long weekend of final pre-ride route checking. I absolutely sizzled for two days down south and was hampered by a closed section of state forest that is now being logged, so much re-routing work was required there. Then yesterday, I was out near Bathurst and, like you, got piddled on from a great height for the entire day. With the weather so unpredictable these days, I would say all Ténéré Tragics this year best be prepared for blazing heat and drizzling rain, as we are sure to cop it all at some stage over the five days of the ride. Okay, mate, see you boys at Bathurst next Sunday arvo ... for crying out loud don't forget the printed maps!
-- Clubby, Ténéré Tragic #1

No comments:

Post a Comment