Tuesday, December 14, 2010

TÉNÉRÉ TRAGICS TRAIL MAIL:

MY NAME IS DAVE & I AM A TÉNÉRÉ TRAGIC

My name is Dave, I live in Tannum Sands in central Queensland and I am excited to be part of the Ténéré Tragics Run to the Rocks. I purchased one of the first XT1200Zs in Queensland from Gladstone Motorcycles in late June 2010.
I was born in Scotland but spent my youth growing up in Africa, namely Zambia (four years) and Kenya (13 years). In my teens my hobby was riding and fixing up motorcycles for friends. I have ridden numerous brands of motorcycles through this hobby including Honda's MT5 and MB5 to XL185 XL250, XL500, CR480R Elsinore, CB400N Superdream, XR400R and XR650R. I've ridden Suzuki's TS125 and TS185 and Yamaha's GT80, DT100, DT125, DT175, DT250, XT250, XT500, XT600 Ténéré (both the ’83 and ’86 models), XT1200Z and XS750. I also rode a Kawasaki two-stroke triple 900, Norton 650SS and BMW K1000.
I moved back to Scotland in 1987 to start working, where I bought a CB400N and then a 1986 XT600 Ténéré. I emigrated to Queensland in 2000 where I purchased a brand new XR650R. I sold it a few years later and haven’t had a bike since. However I got bitten by the bug after watching Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman on the Long Way Round and Down. I was almost going to buy a BMW GS1200A until I heard that Yamaha was bringing out the Super Tenere in a 1200 version. I waited impatiently -- but I am glad I did! It is a fantastic bike.
My father built and raced motocross sidecar outfits in the mid to late 1960s and was the Scottish champion for five years running before retiring as No 1. He is a Norton man through and through and currently owns a 1957 Norton 650SS. He also has a BMW K1000, a Moto Guzzi 500 and a Honda 700 Deauville. My brother had a ’84 XT600 Ténéré which was unfortunately stolen from outside his flat in London. He has since replaced it with a brand new XT660 Ténéré.
The bikes I have owned are a DT100, XT500G, CB400N, XT600 Ténéré (1VJ model; blue and yellow with electric start), XR650R, and now an XT1200Z. I have always been a Yamaha and especially a Ténéré fan. I always wanted to do the Paris Dakar but never had the guts or money ...
I have enclosed some pics of some of my bikes for your perusal. The top photo shows me and my brother Mike touring northern France on our Ténérés in 1989 (mine is the blue one!). The second photo is my dad piloting his Norton 650 Ian Smith Special during a Scottish Sidecar Championship race. The third photo is my new XT1200Z parked at Sandy Creek near Turkey Beach in central Queensland.
Do you know if anyone is doing the Getting There Ride on the Tragics Run from north or central Queensland? If so can you let me know so I can ride down with them. If not I’ll try to catch up with the Dalby Tragics.
Thanks and best regards,
-- Dave, Ténéré Tragic #35

Thanks for your email, Dave, that's an awesome yarn! Loved the photos! Those first two photos are true classics! The other Queensland riders on the Tragics Run are all based down in south-east Queensland, but I will put the word out in the next Bulletin that you are looking to hook up with other riders. In the meantime I suggest you definitely contact Craig Hartley at Dalby Moto and say g'day and work on joining up with those boys.
Look forward to seeing you out there and talking Ténérés!
-- Clubby, Ténéré Tragic #1

No comments:

Post a Comment